Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tuesday is Blues Day (#9)

The Blues Brothers  is widely considered to be one of the greatest blues movies ever made. With its great comedic delivery, unforgettable imagery, and host of talented featured musicians I'm inclined to agree. Blues Brothers 2000, on the other hand, is often seen as one of the dumbest and most painfully unnecessary sequels ever made. I don't feel quite as much animosity toward the latter as many people do, but I will say that it is a generally weak film that mostly rehashes old jokes in less effective ways.

There is one thing from Blues Brothers 2000, though, that I absolutely love. That would be Dr. John's gritty, drawling, cajun-flavored cover of Donovan's psychedelic pop/rock song "Season of the Witch." Dr. John has always been a bit hit-or-miss in my estimation, and on this soundtrack gem I hear everything I like about him at his best.

So here's to silver linings.


No comments:

Post a Comment