Monday, September 15, 2014

Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale

It's time for a quick beer review.

Today I tried a brown ale made by Tommyknocker Brewery from Colorado. Their "Maple Nut Brown" is a mellow ale that pours a rich, dark, slightly reddish brown with minimal head. It has a mild, rich, nutty flavor profile with a sweet aftertaste from the maple syrup used in the brewing process.

I'm not a big fan of overly hoppy beers. Thus, I'm happy with the fact that this brew has a modest 20 IBU, since there's enough substance to the malt that this low hop level leaves the overall flavor sitting comfortably on the sweet side of the scale. At a modest 4.5% ABV, there is also minimal alcoholic bite. The result is a very accessible, highly sessionable beer that likely won't appeal to those seeking strength and/or bitterness from a craft beer. This isn't likely to knock the socks off of any craft beer connoisseurs out there, but for the casual drinker who just wants something pleasantly flavored that they can enjoy with their friends, this is an excellent option.

1 comment:

  1. The liquor store I usually go to carries this brand. I typically go for the really strong stuff with very bold flavor, hoppy or otherwise (North Coast is my current favorite brewery), but I'll have to pick up a six of this the next time I hang out with the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete