Monday, February 24, 2014

Organ Trail OST

I know I've mentioned before that I'm a fan of indie games, and that I really enjoy a lot of the retro 8-bit and 16-bit games that have begun to emerge in recent years. I'm also pretty sure that I've mentioned Organ Trail (the zombie apocalypse take on the old Oregon Trail game) and how much I enjoyed it.

What I'm not so sure I've mentioned is that I really love a lot of the chip music that accompanies those games. Organ Trail in particular had truly compelling music that set the mood for the game perfectly. It's a fusion of the old 80s' video game style chip music with little splashes of more standard instrumentation, and it is somehow equal parts darkly brooding and infectiously catchy. Ben Crossbones really put together something special in my opinion, as it is largely his music that elevates the entire affair from merely an amusing gimmick to the level of being a truly worthy game in its own right.

Well, I didn't realize this when I bought the game, but there's actually an independently available full official soundtrack. I know this isn't exactly in the style that I usually discuss on this blog, but if you have any interest in hearing some excellent, gloomy, compelling chip music then take a few minutes to give this a listen.


You can find the full album on Ben Crossbones' Bandcamp here.

No comments:

Post a Comment