Monday, January 7, 2013

Actuator Deck(s)

You may or may not know this about me, but I have long taken an interest in card magic. In the past four months or so I've decided to really work on improving my meager skills in this area, so I've begun practicing a few hours a day. I've also begun to accumulate more decks of cards, some of which are highly customized.

Just today, my newest such purchases arrived: the black and white Actuator decks. These are really cool steampunk-themed decks that were each released in a limited printing of 2500, as was the full color version of the same design. So far I've only cracked open the white deck.

The backs have an interesting design with gears and little gadgets, but to me the highlight is the original artwork used on the face cards. They've got goggles and compasses and elaborate looking pistols... it's really a cool look. The font for the letters and numbers looks good and suits all the cards, and the pips are organized in a unique way on several of the number cards. The ace of spades also looks pretty cool, though it's not overly ornate. The joker has a little mechanical gnome carrying a giant gear on his back, and I like it pretty well too.

I haven't played with them enough yet to comment much on the handling, though they feel pretty good so far. Overall I'm really happy with them. I don't have a way of putting decent photos on my computer right now, but here are some pictures I found online that give a decent idea how the decks look.


No comments:

Post a Comment