Monday, December 17, 2012

XII Boar - Split Tongue, Cloven Hoof

XII Boar are a British sludge band who recently sent me their newest EP, Split Tongue, Cloven Hoof.

The band adopts a groove-laden approach to their music, with really catchy riffs and guitars solos that sound like they come from a classic rock album. The gruff, punkish vocals took a minute for me to get used to, but I think they work with the rest of music. Fusing these elements together into a sludge record gives this a pretty unique sound. In general, I'd say it's like what would happen if a modern sludge band had been recording back in 1975. It doesn't really sound like any particular band I can bring to mind, and that's always something I appreciate.

The downside of this is that the retro feel does cost this album some in the hostility department. It's not as ugly and hateful as many of its brothers and sisters, which causes it to make a less powerful impression. Still, it's infectiously catchy, and it's quite enjoyable if you're not looking for anything too intense.

Grade: B


No comments:

Post a Comment