Monday, December 24, 2012

Top Metal Albums of 2012

Now that I've posted more detailed entries on all 40 of my selections, here is a quick list for easy reference of my entire Top 40. This will also likely be my last post of the year, so Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody. If you don't do Christmas, then Happy Whatever-You-Celebrate.

1. In Somniphobia -by- Sigh
2. Monolith of Inhumanity -by- Cattle Decapitation
3. Atra Mors -by- Evoken
4. Odalheim -by-Unleashed
5. Rastlos -by- Finsterforst

6. The Giant -by- Ahab
7. Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light -by- Woods of Ypres
8. Honor Found in Decay -by- Neurosis
9. Where the Corpses Sink Forever -by- Carach Angren
10. Sorrow and Extinction -by- Pallbearer

11. Sorathian Dawn -by- Sorathian Dawn
12. L'Enfant Sauvage -by- Gojira
13. III -by- Dopethrone
14. Sentenced to Life -by- Black Breath
15. The Burden of God -by- Nightmare

16. Deathwomb Catechesis -by- Pseudogod
17. Drought (EP) -by- Deathspell Omega
18. And So It Came to Pass -by- Dyscarnate
19. Time I -by- Wintersun
20. Thou Strong, Stern Death -by- Põhjast

21. Bury the Light -by- Pharaoh
22. Land of the Evening Star -by- Dark Forest
23. Eternvs Mos, Nex Ritvs -by- Thy Darkened Shade
24. Alpha Noir -by- Moonspell
25. Portal of I -by- Ne Obliviscarus 

26. Sedition -by- Hour of Penance
27. Caligvla -by- Ex Deo
28. The Hunt -by- Grand Magus
29. Of Breath and Bone -by- Be'lakor
30. Dark Roots of Earth -by- Testament

31. Omen -by- Ahnengrab
32. Dar de Duh -by- Dordeduh
33. Blood for the Master -by- Goatwhore
34. Vessels of Light and Decay -by- Indesinence
35. Creation of Earth -by- Tenochtitlan

36. Enter the Dagobah Core -by- Umbah
37. Torture -by- Cannibal Corpse
38. Koloss -by- Meshuggah
39. Aeons Black -by- Aeon
40. Incurso -by- Spawn of Possession

[Edit] Just for fun, and since I've been thinking about how close they got to being included in my end-of-year writing, I feel I should point out that one album is the clear #41. It barely got cut at the last minute, in a very tough call. The record was Curse  by Wodensthrone, and I think it deserves an honorable mention.

5 comments:

  1. Love the list. There is a lot of stuff there that I had not heard. I may have to seek some stuff out. Mine will be up at the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I look forward to seeing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only even heard 7 of these. That said, I totally see why each of those deserves a place on the list. I had forgotten about Sigh when putting my list together, although I think it would have at best made honorable mention. I'll listen again today to see if I have to eat my words on that statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, fuck . . . I think I'm eating my words. MAJOR oversight on my part leaving that out of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It happens. About half of my list last year should have been different.

    ReplyDelete