Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dabble Dabble

I am, and always have been, one of those people who often likes to see himself as an "artist". This is completely bogus, since in order to be an artist, one needs more than ideas: one needs to be able to actually make art. Sadly, my skills in that department are somewhat lacking. Due to this artist-without-a-medium conundrum, I've dabbled over the years in pretty much every outlet one could pursue. Painting, writing (prose and poetry), drawing, music, video, photography . . . and yesterday I added sculpture to that list. Of course when I say 'sculpture' I mean it in the looser modern sense of any 3d creation rather than the classical sense (which would require that I had the room, tools, materials, and skills to shape something out of stone or clay or anything else). So instead I put my mind to work on something I was actually capable of making, and even if nobody else agrees with me, I'm happy with the product.

My original intention was to just leave it in some random public place (look out world, it's the graffiti sculptor!) but I haven't figured out where just yet. Besides, it's rainy outside so I'd probably do well to wait for a little while. It also occurs to me that since college campuses get a little worked up over security sometimes, it might get mistaken for a bomb or something and cause quite a problem. It's not that I'm opposed to kicking up shit now and then, but I'm not sure I want to cause a bomb scare either. It seems unlikely to actually happen, but I should probably keep that possibility in mind while deciding if and where to place it since most of the foot traffic nearby is around the school.


Anyway, this is what I made. I'm not going to get all pretentious and start talking about the messages or meanings or intended social commentaries to be found in it. That's not to say that there aren't any, but I'm not going to lecture anybody about them. The imagery is, in my own grossly biased opinion, loaded enough without me needing to go into any explanatory detail.


So if you like it, let me know. If you hate it, let me know. If you don't care one way or the other, let me know. If you don't want to let me know, then I guess you don't have to. I'm curious to hear opinions, though, and remember that if you think it's total crap, I invite you to tell me just that. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny. I like that.

    I'm not sure you can find a public place where people won't call it in to the authorities as a possible bomb. I recall a few years back there was an Aqua Teen Hunger Force promotion which involved setting out models of the characters or something like that, and of course cops were called in to check some of them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, both for the compliment and for confirming that I'm not crazy for believing the fake bomb panic possibility.

    ReplyDelete