Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Album 8 of 12

Album that changed my life:
"Ressurection Through Carnage" by Bloodbath

There was a bit of a dry patch in my musical expansion after that initial fertile explosion. I had been exposed to a ton of new music, and now I was just busy weeding through it and trying to catch up on the styles I had found. I discovered several other bands that I would grow to love, like the mighty Amon Amarth and the pioneering Dark Tranquility. It was not until the end of that summer, though, that I would stumble upon an album that introduced me to something genuinely new to me. Around the end of August I found myself in a record store in Las Vegas looking for interesting music, when I made a discovery. There was this band that had the same singer as Opeth! I had to listen to that, so I bought it and took it home. The first thing I noticed was how cool the guitar tone sounded, and how incredibly catchy the riffs were. This was a very heavy album, yet it was bouncy and energetic and fun as hell to listen to. It was also my introduction to "old school" Swedish death metal. Little did I know at the time that the sound I was hearing had been carefully crafted in imitation of other bands, but when I learned that Bloodbath was essentially a tribute band to groups like Entombed and Dismember, it made me decide to check out those bands too. And of course it didn't take long for Left Hand Path, Like An Ever Flowing Stream, and Into The Grave to convince me of what a good decision that was.

3 comments:

  1. That album is the perfect example of the "do something better than anyone else" school of thought (as opposed to the "do something different" school). I can't believe how good that album is. I picked it up for the same reason. Now I'm going to have to pick up Entombed's Left Hand Path . . . I didn't like Wolverine Blues, but I hear there's a pretty stark difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they made a stylistic change when Wolverine Blues came around. I'd highly recommend giving Left Hand Path a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entombed is definitely better on Left Hand Path. They went in a death n' roll direction after that album.

    ReplyDelete