Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Underrated Death Metal Pt.3

((EDIT: I am going to lie to you in this post,
since I have already abandoned the plan I set forth
here in favor of just covering a bunch of albums at
once. See my post: Death Metal Extravaganza))

Ok, I initially planned on just running this feature (or whatever you want to call it) for a few days then stopping. Well, after just 2 days I moved on to other things and I figured that would be the end of those, especially since I couldn't really determine how many of the albums I'd planned on covering are really that unknown to serious fans of death metal. But there are so many things I could cover. Well, now I've made a decision. Periodically when I decide that something fits the bill, I'll just throw up one of these posts to cover that album. And today that's what I'm going to do. Also, I may end up relaxing my standards for obscurity a bit and risk talking about bands that readers already know, just so I can cover some really strong albums in the future.

On a side note, I've noticed that recently this seems to be morphing into a metal blog. That's not really intentional, and I wouldn't call it a "new direction" either. This is the only blog I keep, so basically it's just going to be about whatever I happen to be in the moo to write about, whether that happens to be music, movies, beards, video games, or anything else for that matter. Recently my favorite topic has been metal, but that can change on a whim. It probably will from time to time, but since my basic interests are likely to stay pretty much the same, if I've talked about something once, odds are I'll come back to it again at some point.

Anyway, today's underrated death metal album is Edge of Darkness by Contorted. This is a good, rootsy brutal death metal release from 2005, and it's extremely hard to find now. Despite being active since 1997, this is also Contorted's only full-length album. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but in my opinion it's stronger than many similar records I've encountered. It also gets extra "underrated" brownie points for being so totally and weirdly unknown. Oh, and the sick album art never hurt anything, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment