Thursday, January 13, 2011

Top 10 Beards Summary

The top ten were:

1. ZZ Top
2. Santa Claus
3. Socrates
4. Merlin
5. Grizzly Adams
6. Zeus
7. Hans Langseth
8. Jack Passion
9. Fidel Castro
10. Charles Darwin

Linked to each name is a picture, in case any of these names are unfamiliar (as I suspect #7 and #8 will be for some of you). You may have to use these links instead of the ones in the individual posts, as some of those appear to be broken for some reason.

I said I would give an honorable mention and some further wrap-up, so here I go. Hopefully any problems you have with the list will be addressed here:

I left off figures from major contemporary religions (Jesus, Moses, Muhammad, etc). I felt that including said figures would start turning this into a religious issue and/or offend somebody, so in the interest of keeping things light and fun, I sidestepped that particular subject altogether. Likewise, I left out Odin as I didn't want to clutter the list with too many figures from ancient mythology and Zeus is better known. I realize that Zeus is also a religious figure, but I think the widespread worship of Zeus is historically distant enough at this point that it shouldn't bother anybody seeing him on here. I didn't add in Merlin clones (Gandalf, Dumbledore, every other elderly wizard in anything) to avoid redundancy. I think I alluded to this in the actual Merlin post as well. Finally, I excluded other famous/notorious beards either out of personal distaste or simply because they didn't make the cut. After all, there are only so many names (10) that can fit into a top 10 list, so at some point you just have to start making cuts. Several other names I felt worthy of consideration who didn't make it for one reason or another are: Osama Bin Laden, Sigmund Freud, Robert E. Lee, Rutherford B. Hayes, Hagrid, and Sarwan Singh.

Thanks for reading, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment